Abstract 329: Mechanism by Which Anacetrapib Lowers Plasma Lipoprotein (a) Concentration
Objective: Anacetrapib, a CETP inhibitor, was previously shown to decrease plasma lipoprotein (a) [Lp(a)] levels by 35-40% in subjects also taking a statin. Thus, anacetrapib is an efficacious Lp(a)-lowering agent. The goal of this study was to define the mechanism by which anacetrapib lowers plasma Lp(a) levels.
Methods: 39 moderately hyperlipidemic volunteers were enrolled in a fixed-sequence study, in which 75% were on atorvastatin 20mg/day, plus placebo for four weeks (period 1), and then atorvastatin plus anacetrapib (100 mg/day) for 8 weeks (period 2). The other 25% of the subjects received double placebo for four weeks, and then placebo plus anacetrapib for 8 weeks. Turnover studies using D3-leucine were performed at the end of each period. The present analysis utilized samples from a subset of subjects (n=12) who had plasma Lp(a) levels greater than 10 nM at the end of period 1 and had a greater than 10% reduction in Lp(a) by the end of period 2. The fractional synthetic rate (FSR:equal to fractional catabolic rate at steady state) of mature Lp(a), isolated from a D:1.019-1.21 g/ml density interval, was determined from the enrichment of a leucine-containing peptide specific to apo(a). The production rate (PR) of mature Lp(a) was calculated from the FSR and the Lp(a) pool size. To date, we have calculated the FSR and PR in 4 participants.
Results: Baseline Lp(a) mean levels were 45.7 ± 6.3nM in the entire group and 56.5 ± 33.6nM in the 12 qualifying subjects. Anacetrapib lowered Lp(a) by 43 ± 22% in the 12 subjects and 21 ±12% in the 4 subjects with turnover data. In these 4 subjects, the reduction in mature Lp(a) was associated with a 24% reduction in FSR and a 41% reduction in PR. Lp(a) kinetics analyses of the remaining 8 subjects are in progress.
Conclusion: These preliminary results suggest that anacetrapib decreases Lp(a) levels by significantly decreasing the production of mature Lp(a). Additional analyses are planned to determine if the reduced production of Lp(a) results from decreased entry of Lp(a) into plasma or reduced conversion of a precursor form to the mature Lp(a).
- © 2012 by American Heart Association, Inc.